Founded in 1901, the Stuart Public Library has been a staple in the community. The very first librarian, Mrs. Catherine H. Leighton, created a place that was positive, supportive, and dedicated to serving the community. Until 1907, the library did not have a permanent home in the community and was house in a rented room. It wasn't until the efforts of librarian Mrs. J.R. McMullen and other citizens that the community successfully secured a grant from Andrew Carnegie for the construction of a building dedicated solely to the library. It was felt that the new Carnegie building would ensure the prosperity of the library and the community more than ever. On April 3, 1908, the new Carnegie Library was opened and dedicated to the community of Stuart.
The librarians that followed these two continued their work to ensure the Stuart Public Library was, and still is, an influence in the health and intellectual uplifting of the community. In addition to offering books and other literary materials, the library continues to evolve and progress to provide services and products that enable community members to become successful learners and explorers in the 21st century society.
PO Box 220
111 E. Front Street
Stuart, IA 50250